Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

C-Section Experience

I have been asked if doulas are even necessary when a c-section is going to take place.  My answer is yes!  I believe that the mother needs even more support when a c-section is going to happen.  Many people look over the fact that it is major abdominal surgery!  It you were having any other surgery you would have lots of support through that.  I believe that the same is more true for moms having to go through this too.  After surgery is very important for support as well.  They are recovering from surgery and have a new baby to care for.
My first experience with a c-section was very interesting for me.  I was called by labor and deliver to come help them with this patient.  I go there and was informed of what was going on.  Unplanned c-section due to several unfavorable factors.  Mom wanted to have as natural an experience as possible, so this was not in her game plan at all.  Both her and her husband were very nervous about this.  I was allowed to go back into the OR with mom while she got her spinal and was prepared for surgery.  They started, and then brought dad in.  Mom was nauseated and throwing up a little.  She wanted to know what was going on the whole time.  The Dr did a great job of telling her what he was doing.  Dad kept peeking over the screen and telling mom as well.  I was holding her hand and reassuring her that things were going well.  The Dr lowered the screen for the birth of the baby.  Mom was so excited to see her baby.
Dad went with the baby to the nursery unit.  The Dr's then went about stitching mom back up.  I was able to see the baby from where I was standing.  I told mom everything that they were doing from taking babies temperature, to the pediatrician listening to babies heart and lungs.  She was very glad to be able to know what was going on with her baby.  Dad brought baby back over to mom shortly after they were done checking baby out.  Mom was then able to give kisses and loves to her new baby.
We headed to recovery where mom was able to breastfeed with some help.  It was amazing to see the love this family had for their new baby.  I left them once they were ready to rest.
I had a chance to run into the Dr shortly after that and he informed me that it was wonderful to have a support person there to help keep mom calm and informed of everything that was going on during delivery and shortly after.  He told me that it meant a lot to the mom to have someone telling her what was going on with her baby.
I loved being able to help this mom and dad out during this very important time in their lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment